This is similar to my Pineapple Upside Cake but I tweeked it a bit. Love the mix of greengage plumsand gooseberry in this. Try and find red gooseberries for fab contrast.. The mix of 2 fruits creates a nice balance between tart and sweet.
Preheat oven to 175C
125g unsalted butter
240g dark brown sugar
375g Self raising Flour
1.5 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
125g Unsalted butter (softened)
140 g caster sugar
100g dark brown sugar
1 tsp Vanilla bean paste
175 ml Milk
5-6 greengage plums – destined and quartered
Good couple handfuls or so of gooseberries (cleaned and little stalks removed)
Line a 9″ spring form pan with parchment paper or aluminium foil. This is to stop and of the sauce leaking out! It will make a sticky mess otherwise!
- In pan gently melt butter & sugar for sauce. Once sugar dissolved pour into lined spring form pan.
- Arrange plums and gooseberries in the sauce. try to get them as close together as you can. Make a nice patten.
- In large bowl or mixer. Cream together sugar and butter. Add in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and baking powder.
- Sift dry ingredients into another bowl. Add this to butter mix alternating with milk. Try and keep the mixture nice and light. i tend to do 2 parts flour then 1 part milk.
- Once sponge mix is ready, carefully spread over the fruit. Pop in the oven for 40-45 min. The cake is ready when there is a light spring back on the centre. Or you can test with a toothpick to see if comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 5 min before inverting onto serving dish and carefully opening spring form. Gently peel away paper.
- Serve warm with double cream or scoop of vanilla ice cream.