This is one of my absolute favourites. It is very rich, beefy and extremely decadent. This recipie will easily feed 12 but you can easily freeze this in batches and makes perfect mid week treat.
5-6 short ribs about 4 inches w/ bone in. Seasoned well with salt & pepper
1 med onion diced
3 stalks celery diced
4 carrots diced
5 cloves of Garlic roughly sliced
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
5-8 sprigs of thyme
Few sprigs parsley
250 ml port
500 ml rich red wine
500 ml beef stock
BBig handful chopped parsley
1. In a large heavy bottom stock pot sear your ribs until browned on all sides. Do in batches if needed. Place in large deep sided oven tray.
2. Sweat off onions, carrots, celery and garlic for 5 min. Place in oven tray.
3. Make a bouquet garni w/ Muslin using thyme, parsley and bay leaf.
4. Add flour to pan, whisk around incorporating fan into flour. Add tomatoe past, port and mix well. Reduce slightly. Add red wine, bouquet and beef stock. Mix and reduce for 10 min then poor over short ribs. Seal up with double layers of foil. Pop in oven 140c for 5 hrs. Turn ribs half way through. Reseal.
5. Remove ribs and place in large bowl. Discard bouquet. Pour all veg and stock into another large bowl. Let settle for a few minutes and skim off all the oily fat on top.
6. Blitz the veg and stock with hand blender until lovely and silky. Set aside.
7. Pick your ribs. Removing any glutinous fat. Finely shredded/ chopped. Add this and stock sauce to large pan and simmer until needed. Or you can freeze sauce at this point.
8. Prepare pasta. Add sauce and mix in chopped parsley. Plate with a ton of Parmesan 🙃