I made these raviolis for Christmas starters. It is a little time consuming and both sauces are a little fiddly. Lobster reduction can be made in advance and chilled.
I have used I couple of frozen lobsters from supermarket. If you are lucky enough to find red roe when you clean the lobsters, save and freeze till needed. Take out 1 hr before serving. Makes a lovely garnish.
Tip for Vermouth sauce make it just before you serve.. I split my first attempt when I let it sit to long.. about 5 min. I couldn’t recover it but it is quite easy to make. Also you can easily replace Sorrel with tarragon. I used Sorrel as I have an abundance in my kitchen garden.
Fresh Saffron Pasta Dough
Pinch of Saffron strands
1 tablespoons hot water
500 g 00 pasta flour
5 eggs, whole
I use a very special UK produced Saffron. Please visit Cheshire Saffron for more information. http://www.cheshiresaffron.co.uk/
1. Place the saffron in a cup with the hot water, I let mine sit over night to intensify colour.
2. Mix salt and flour together. Place all the flour on a board and make a well in the centre. Add eggs and saffron gradually mixing in from the centre till combined. Knead on floured board till smooth and elastic. Let rest at least 30 min before rolling.
2 Small lobsters shells (meat reserved for ravs)
1 carrot chopped
1 stick celery chopped
3 shallots chopped
1/2 fennel bulb chopped
2 cloves of garlic sliced in half
1 bay leaf
10 whole peppercorns lightly crushed
Few glugs of dry Vermouth (I used Dolin
Little olive oil
1. In a large stock pot add olive oil and fry off shallots, celery, onions, fennel, garlic for a few minutes. Deglaze bottom of pan with Vermouth. Add rest of ingredients and cover with water.
2. Now I simmered this for an hour and thirty minutes. Skimming off scum as I went. I have since been told I shouldn’t have but it’s up to you. Traditional Lobster stock says 30 min. I’m sticking to my way as it’s going to reduce down to nothing and I want max flavour. Do not add any salt to this as it will be salty from shells.
3. Strain stock into large bowl. Sieve and Return to a clean pan. Gently reduce this mixture down to 1/8 of original. It will be thicker and quite dark. Taste add little pepper and 1/4 tsp lemon juice. Chill down and set aside.
Ok next step…
Make your raviolis
2 small Lobster meat chopped
1 tbsp chopped sorrel
Saffron Pasta dough
1. I bowl mix lobster meat, Sorrel and just enough lobster reduction to bind together. You don’t want this to wet.
2. Roll out your pasta and lay out sheets. Fill and cover with another sheet. Using a circle cutter cut out ravioli. Press down edges to ensure sealed. You can add a little egg white brushed on in between pasta. To ensure seal. I then place on floured parchment and refrigerate until needed.
Finally assembly and sauce
Have a 2 pans of boiling water ready. One for raviolis and one for sauce. Raviolis will take about 3-4 min to cook. Sauce is about the same.
3 tbsp Vermouth
125 g unsalted butter melted
1 tbsp white wine vinager
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp chopped sorrel
1. In metal bowl, whisk together Vermouth, egg yolks and vinager.
2. Start cooking raviolis
3. Place bowl over boiling water, slowly whisk in butter. Add salt & pepper. Keep whisking until till thickened. Keep checking raviolis. Take sauce off heat. But leave over water.
4. Drain raviolis (I place on kitchen roll them place on warmed serving dish). Keep eye on sauce and whisk in lemon juice and Sorrel. Spoon sauce over raviolis, garnish with lobster roe and Sorrel leaf.
Enjoy your hard work xxx