This is by far one of our favourite desserts. Fresh pineapple, sticky caramel sauce and a light but rich fluffy sponge. If butter isn’t your thing, look away now!
Preheat oven to 175C
125g unsalted butter
240g dark brown sugar
375g Self raising Flour
1.5 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
125g Unsalted butter (softened)
240g caster sugar (or half brown sugar & caster)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
175 ml Milk
1 Pineapple (cored, skinned and cut into 1 inch pieces)
Line a 9″ spring form pan with parchment paper. This is to stop and of the sauce leaking out!
- In pan gently melt butter & sugar for sauce. Once sugar dissolved pour into lined spring form pan.
- Arrange pineapple in the sauce. try to get them as close together as you can.
- In large bowl or mixer. Cream together sugar and butter. Add in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and baking powder.
- Sift dry ingredients into another bowl. Add this to butter mix alternating with milk. Try and keep the mixture nice and light. i tend to do 2 parts flout then 1 part milk.
- Once sponge mix is ready, carefully spread over the arrange pineapples. Pop in the oven for 40-45 min. The cake is ready when there is a light spring back on the centre. Or you can test with a toothpick to see if comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 5 min before inverting onto serving dish and carefully opening spring form. Gently peel away paper.
- Serve warm with double cream or scoop of vanilla ice cream.